Emma Freeman joined the Firm in 2017. Prior to joining the Firm, she clerked for the Hon. Raymond J. Lohier, Jr. of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, the Hon. Patti B. Saris of the District of Massachusetts, and the Hon. Barbara A. Lenk of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. She interned in the Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s Public Policy Litigation and Law Department and with the ACLU of Massachusetts.
Ms. Freeman has a diverse litigation practice that encompasses commercial matters and civil rights cases in federal and state court. She has represented commercial clients in real estate and contract disputes, arbitrations, and civil RICO matters. She has also worked on cases involving housing discrimination, police misconduct, child abuse, wrongful conviction, and constitutional questions.
Ms. Freeman received her B.A. from Yale University and graduated cum laude in 2013 from Harvard Law School, where she served as an editor of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review and as Vice-President of the Board of Student Advisers. Ms. Freeman’s team won the Ames Moot Court Competition, and she received the George S. Leisure Award for Best Oralist.
“Giving Casey Its Bite Back: The Role of Rational Basis Review in Undue Burden Analysis,” 48 Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review 279 (Spring 2013)
“In Defense of Danger Assessment,” Domestic Violence Report, Vol. 17 No. 3, February 2012
- Inmate at Auburn Correctional Facility Sues Prison Personnel after Brutal Assault by Correctional Officer
- #HimToo: Porter Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Upper West Side Building with New York City Commission on Human Rights
- Federal Judge Allows Emoluments Clause Lawsuit Against Trump To Go Forward
- CAIR-NY, ECBA File Civil Rights Class Action Lawsuit to Block NYPD From Removing Arrestees’ Hijabs for Booking Photos
- Rachel Maddow Interviews Professor Sarah Chayes About Donald Trump’s Violations of the Emoluments Clause
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2013
Vice-President, Board of Student Advisors
George S. Leisure Award for Best Oralist
Yale University, B.A., 2009