The Firm has a strong commitment to ensuring that persons are free from sexual harassment. The firm has successfully represented numerous individuals who have suffered sexual harassment, assault, or abuse in a variety of contexts, including employment, housing, education and other contexts. While some of these cases resulted in litigation, many of these cases were settled through confidential mediations.
For the latest news on ECBA’s work on sexual harassment and assault, click here.
- Cruz v. Nieves – The Firm represents a gay man who was subjected to vicious verbal and written harassment while he lived in a Bronx apartment building in an action against the landlord alleging violations of State and City laws prohibiting housing discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- State of New York v. Berezin – The Firm successfully represented one of several former tenants in a case brought by the New York State Attorney General’s office against a Manhattan landlord alleging that he sexually harassed female tenants.
- Along with co-counsel, the Firm represented a transgender woman who was sexually assaulted by two different employees of the New York City Department of Corrections and/or the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation on two different occasions, as corroborated by forensic evidence, despite credible complaints she and others had previously made. The case ultimately settled for $750,000.
- Successfully litigated an action in federal court on behalf of a woman who suffered a sexual assault at her office, by her supervisor, and was then retaliated against when she reported it.
- Negotiated a confidential settlement on behalf of three women who were sexually harassed and/or assaulted for years by other employees.
- Successfully represented a woman who was raped by a co-worker and then fired when she reported it.
- Successfully represented a female tenant against a Brooklyn landlord who sexually assaulted/harassed her in her home.
- Negotiated a confidential settlement on behalf of a woman sexually harassed and then assaulted by her boss.